Saturday, September 24, 2011

Real Life

My kids have introduced me to some games on the internet that are silly, a waste of time and I am totally addicted to them.  One of them is called "Cityville Hometown" that you build houses and shops, etc. with coins which you earn.  I love to hear the money go "Cha-ching!" every time I click on the coins.  So I'm building a little city with stores and houses, a baseball field, a college and a whole lot more.  It's a total waste of time, but I love it!  The only thing they're missing are little cars to drive on the little roads.  The other game is called "Tap Zoo."  This is also a mindless game that you're building a zoo and the more animals you get into the zoo, the more coins you get, thus more money!  I love to see the numbers run into the hundreds of thousands of "dollars." It's really funny how I scramble to get on these two games in the morning to see how many coins I can get in one day.  And when I "pay" for more land on either game, it's awe-inspiring because I can build or place new animals in the empty space.  Of course there is a point to where you have to stop and begin your real day, but for just some moments in time, I feel like I'm actually in control of my little city and zoo, in contrast to my real life.  Maybe that's why these types of games are so addictive.  You can be in control of something.  I don't know.  I just know that they are really fun.


I also play two word games on my phone.  One is like Scrabble and can get really tough.  I usually do this one right before I go to sleep at night.  Most of the time I lose.  The other game is like "Hangman," which also is tough.  And I usually lose that one as well.  I'm obviously geared more toward mindless, money-making, control freak-type games.  There is a great deal of pleasure in owning property, stores and animals without competition and without using real money. 


So real life happens after I pry myself away from the computer and my phone.  My mom is getting better slowly but surely and my dad is about the same.  I am so tired of having to say something over and over and over again, though.  And if I yell it in the first place, my dad will get angry.  A typical conversation is like this:  "Dad, what does G-men mean?" "Green tea?"  "No, G-MEN."  "Mean men?"  "NO.  G-MEN!"  "OH, G-men, well that means government men."  If it gets that far, I get my answer, but usually I just say, "Never mind" and end it after the second try.  They both have to get their hearing checked.  My mom practically whispers and my dad can't hear her unless he's right next to her, and even then he can't.  So I am forever interpreting what each of them are saying.  I can't even tell you how annoying that is.  It would be far easier if we all knew sign language.  I mean, we're sitting at the kitchen table eating dinner and he's got the news on full blast because he can't hear it, even though it's a few feet away.  And then if we try to have a conversation, he tries to talk over the tv which of course doesn't work.  I think my mom whispers just to aggravate him and get him to turn the tv down.


When you look at my dad in the face, one of his eyes goes one way and the other goes slightly another way, which is really weird.  So I asked him, "Dad, why does one of your eyes go way off somewhere, while the other one is looking at me?"  He said, "I don't know," kind of gruff and annoyed.  But he told me tonight that he wants to make an appointment with the eye doctor to see what's wrong with it.  I would say that my dad is turning into a pirate and his eye is just preparing him for his role.  He's already got the scowl and growl down.  Or maybe it's part of his costume for Halloween.  But then, there goes my imagination again.  My dad would never go trick or treating.  In fact, no one goes trick or treating around here - there's just a bunch of old people here.  I did hear the sound of kids earlier in the afternoon, but it must have been a figment of my imagination. 


However, I do intend on buying a jumbo bag of Butterfingers for October 31st, just in case...

No comments:

Post a Comment