Sunday, September 18, 2011

Poop and More Poop

It's been very interesting the past couple days.  My mom was discharged from the hospital yesterday morning, and they took her to the same nursing home she was at before.  She said she wanted to go there, for reasons unknown.  My dad and I got to the nursing home about 3:00 and she was sitting in the hallway waiting for us.  She almost cried when we got there.  She said she wanted to go home.  With that, I asked a nurse what we had to do to get her out of there and she called the head nurse.  The head nurse came in our room and tried to discourage us, in fact she had an attitude about it, and that if we take her out against medical advice, basically it would be on us.  My parents had to sign a statement, stating such.  She was very unhappy and I was more than glad to get her out of there, as her roommate was crazy and kept asking everyone where her bed was at.  Also, my mom accused one of the CNA's of stealing her clothes.  Her clothes.  I said, "Mom why would anyone want to steal your clothes?  Look, your shoes are still in the bag along with your flowered blouse and culottes."  But she was hallucinating again and she believed that the "little, round CNA took her clothes." 

Ok, well I pulled the car as close to the front door as possible because there was a big van in the way.  The head nurse said no one there would help us get her in the car.  At one point, I felt like I was going to rip her head off and asked her why she was giving us such a hard time.  She backed off a little at that point, but really.  No one to help us get her in the car?  My adrenaline must have been pumping, because even though my mom weighs very little, she's dead weight, and between my dad and myself, we gathered her up and got her in the car.  For a moment there, I had to yell at my dad and tell him I was stronger than he was and to move out of the way, and of course he said he was stronger than I was.  Well, it was hot, I was sweating and in no mood to argue with him or the head nurse, but we got my mom in the car.  I prayed a silent prayer that I wouldn't drop my mom and incredibly, I had the strength to get her in.

So we were off and I had to stop at Sprint because my phone had been acting up, but my parents stayed in the car with it running.  Soon enough we were at the house, and this time it was a bit easier getting her out of the car, into her wheelchair.  The whole time, she was talking nonsense and was really out of it.  We got her in the house, I made dinner and eventually put her to bed.  She was hallucinating the whole time and the way she was talking to me really bothered me.  It was so not like her.  But anyway, I gave her her sleeping pill and we put her to bed and all was well.

Today it was all about poop.  Without going into great detail, the laxatives finally worked for my mom as she used the portable potty.  When I emptied it, unfortunately the toilet couldn't hold it all and up it came.  I had had it at that point and yelled for my dad to come in and fix the toilet.  Of course he couldn't do it gently, but instead jammed the rubber thing in the toilet real fast making everything flow over the top onto the floor.  I heard him swearing from the kitchen and I just shook my head.  He won't touch the bucket - that's "my" job, and here he is standing in it in his socks.  It was actually funny until I had to go in there later to get her pills that I asked her if she wanted when she was going to bed.  Now she decided to take them.  So, barefoot, I tiptoed, or as best as I can do that, into the bathroom.  My dad had put down several towels but of course they were soaking wet.  So when I got her pills and water, I told her to please go to sleep now.  She said she would.

I went immediately into mine and my dad's bathroom and turned on the shower and stuck my feet in the water.  I mean, with kids it's bad enough, if you know what I mean.  I had to keep shouting at Kita to stay away cause that was all I needed was for her to roll in it or something.

In addition to the fun and games we've been having here, Kita ate something last night that made her real sick.  I think she might have picked up a pill one of us had dropped, because she was laying on the floor with her tongue hanging out and her eyes wide open and glazed.  I picked her up and she just laid in my arms and I became very worried, so I prayed that God would touch her.  She gives me so much joy that I couldn't bear it if she would have died.  That's how serious it looked.  Even my dad was worried.  She wouldn't sleep with me last night like she always does, but I felt her early in the morning come up on the bed.  In the morning, her tail was wagging and she looked like her old self again.  I was relieved and thankful - God hears and answers even prayers like that one.

So it's the end of the day and I'm safely in my room with the door closed.  No more poop or sick dogs or swearing parents.  Peace and quiet at last.  That is, until I have to empty the "bucket" or venture into her bathroom for her pills.  Tomorrow, I will wear shoes and clean the floor.  Oh no.  I just heard her still calling for my dad through my room.  I think I'll turn the lights off and just pretend I'm in here sleeping...

No comments:

Post a Comment