Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Mish Mosh

I noticed something when I was driving my mom to the hospital this morning.  She can't do two things at the same time.  She can't talk to me while I'm driving, because she has to concentrate on what I'm doing.  She watches every move just in case she has to use her pretend brakes, or shout out to me to "look out" or wave her arm in my face in order to protect me if we get into an accident.  It's really irritating, because I know what she is doing, so sometimes, I just talk the more.  Then she gets a bit flustered because, like I said, she can't do two things at the same time, so what I'm trying to do is to get her to stop driving for me.

Well we got to the hospital in one piece, thank God, and we proceeded on up to the place where she had surgery today.  The nurses surrounded her and I left since her surgery wasn't scheduled for several hours and she would be busy with prep for the surgery.  Today, she had a total hip replacement on her left leg.  This was the original leg that was broken and a different doctor did a lousy job of putting pins in the bones of an 83-year-old woman with no bone density, and of course they broke off, protruding into her hip area.  She was to have surgery on this hip the day after I got here, but she broke the other hip and so this long ordeal has been plaguing her all these months.  So hopefully this will be the last surgery she has for a long time.

When I returned to the hospital later in the evening, I took my dad with me.  He's always so ornery to go anywhere and he was especially tonight.  I told him he could stay home this morning, but I thought my mom would want to see him when she woke up, so I made him go with me tonight.  On our way home, we were driving behind a driver who was going very slow and my dad was shouting out to him/her that he was an "idiot" and he was doing this to "aggravate" my father, and few other choice adjectives.  Of course the windows were closed with the a/c on high so no one heard him except me.  There is no doubt that I get my lack of patience from my father.  He also tells me where to go and when to stop when I'm driving, but he doesn't have a pretend brake and he can do two things at one time.  We can be having a conversation and he can cuss the guy out in front of us all in one breath. 

I thought I would take a picture of my living quarters where I watch tv, sleep, work on the computer and eat my secret stash of Butterfingers.  The pictures are below.

This is where all my personal items, drugs, hairstuff, and everything else you can possibly need in the world are, all crammed on this aluminum table.  The garbage can is also on the table because Kita likes to tip it over and chew up all the kleenex in it.

This is a view of my laptop and chair that is so low that it is nearly impossible to get out of because I am practically sitting on the floor.  Kita's doggy bed is in front of my laptop and one of her many toys is laying next to it.

This is my bed with some junk on it, and peacock feathers that are taped up on the wall by my mother about 40 years ago.  I think I got them from the zoo when I was a kid and she kept them all these years.  They also serve as a mini dust collector.


This is another view in case you couldn't see the feathers in the previous picture, along with something someone made her for her 70th birthday, taped on the wall 14 years ago.

This is the tv I watch and chair I sit on when I take my drugs.  My shoes are on the table too because Kita likes to gnaw on them.  Notice the shell mirror on the wall to the left.  I think I made that about 20 years ago and my mom has kept it on this wall all these years intact.  The second drawer to this dresser is where I hide my Butterfingers and any other treat I may secretly get.

These are pictures of my brothers and I from our "confirmation" days so I was about 16 there.  Richard is on the left and Danny is on the right.  I actually was pretty back then but there is no resemblance of the current me in that picture.  I can't even turn my head to the side like that anymore.

I did think of something this week that I thought was worth passing along, and that is this:  The most humble thing you can do for another person is possibly the greatest thing you will ever do. 

Something to chew on, other than kleenex...

No comments:

Post a Comment