Friday, September 16, 2011

Laughter and Parents

Some things strike me really funny, sometimes so, that I literally can't stop laughing, and possibly to others, it would seem silly or not funny at all, which would only make me laugh more.  One of the funniest things I ever saw in a movie was in "George of the Jungle."  It was a silly movie about a guy who grew up in the jungle like Tarzan and he meets this pretty girl, and then, well you can probably guess the rest.  The funny part was when George was calling for his (I thought) dog, and a great, big elephant comes running at him with his tail wagging.  George has a log in his hand and throws it like a stick and the elephant tries to run after it after getting his feet grounded.  Now if you've never seen this or have and thought nothing about it, I'm sorry.  I still laugh every time I see that part.  My son Jason and I seem to laugh at the same things and he was watching it the first time with me and we both couldn't stop laughing.  We kept rewinding it back at the same part over and over.  I'm smiling while I write this because it just strikes me as being very funny and totally unexpected.  Maybe that's why it was so funny.

Another time I can remember, and there have been lots of times I laugh uncontrollably, was when I was with Jason, and we were driving to Chicago.  We were listening to Chicago talk radio when the guys on there were talking about a man who was singing the national anthem to begin a ballgame, and he forgot the words to the song.  So they played the recording over and over and over.  They were laughing about it and making fun of this guy and Jason and I laughed so hard we couldn't stop.  Because they kept playing it over and over.  It was kind of like "Groundhog Day" and the guy wakes up every morning to the same day - that was also hilarious.

It's moments like those, that I laugh with huge belly laughs and they exhaust me, but I feel so good inside.  Sometimes I laugh so hard that I can't close my mouth and I think that it will stay like that.  I have to keep my asthma spray nearby because I will need it like I just ran a mile or something.  Laughter is so good not only for your soul, but your physical body as well.  I read somewhere that it is "aerobics for the soul."  How absolutely true.

So my mom had surgery and it went well and now she is recovering in the hospital.  She should be discharged in the next day or so and I'm hoping she will come home instead of going to the nursing home.  One of the reasons for that is that she has been hallucinating again.  Apparently, the other night she called the police and told them she was lost and she didn't know how to get home, and today when I went to see her, she was mentally in and out.  She started crying when I got there, as she was telling the physical therapist that she was at some party for a friend of hers and didn't know where to go tonight.  When someone she knows is there, it's much better, and I just want her to come home so we can help her here.  Part of the problem is the anesthesia from the surgery, she's old and she has the beginnings of dementia.  All these rolled up into one, causes delusions and hallucinations.  I wish she could just sit back and enjoy them, but it freaks her out and scares her.  She calls my dad to tell him strange things and he's actually gentle with her when he's talking to her.  When I went up to the hospital today, my dad said, "Make sure she's all right and not hallucinating."  I said, "OK dad," like I have some kind of power to control it.  He doesn't like to see her like this, but then neither do I.  They have an alarm on her bed, in case she gets up and tries to walk out of the room like she did with the first surgery.  They found her down the hall mumbling about something, in her nightgown at the nursing home.  After that, they also put an alarm on the bed.  When she comes home, my dad has an intercom fixed up where he can hear every sound in her room, so hopefully all will be well when she does come home.

Yesterday, I did the unimaginable.  I got my dad to go to the doctor.  I had hopes that the doctor would check him out thoroughly, but he didn't do much, to my disappointment.  He listened to his lungs and that was about it.  My dad said he will wait until he has to go to the VA to get his blood drawn and he didn't give them his urine because the lab was closed.  How can the lab close before the clinic?  How ridiculous.  Anyway, my dad wiggled out of this one but I'm going to make sure he gets his blood work done as soon as my mom gets out of the hospital.  And when we do go to the VA for this, I'm going to ask them to test his urine as well.  All the way home, he kept telling me, "I told you I'm fine - I'm not sick - I know when I'm sick."  To me, he looks emaciated, but he's the same weight he was a year ago when he was there, so I don't know.  While we waited to see the doctor, I told him he should have shaved because his beard is white and long.  I told him he looked like a rabbi.  He said, "At least I'm not a priest," whatever that means.  Only Bob knows for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment