Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Just Don't Let Go

My mom keeps getting up after we put her to bed, after she's done all her personal stuff and taken her meds and has something to eat.  She says she's hungry.  So tonight, my dad helped her out of bed again and she made herself a sandwich and ate it in the kitchen.  Instead of asking my dad to help her get back into bed, she thought she would do it herself.  Through the walkie-talkie thing I could hear my dad yelling and swearing and calling for me.  Apparently she started to fall, not getting all the way on the bed.  So I rushed in there and helped my dad lift and scoot her where she should be.  I thought my dad was going to have a heart attack he was pushing so hard and was so angry.  She's dead weight and can't help us push, so it's real hard to get her where she needs to be if she gets out of place.  On top of that, she had just had a hydrocone and a sleeping pill, so she was half asleep and probably won't remember a thing in the morning.  It's getting really frustrating for my dad - you can tell my mom over and over again what not to do, and she'll do what she wants to do anyway.

The nurse finally came yesterday and today, the physical therapist came today and someone from Home Health will be coming to bathe her tomorrow.  Thankfully it didn't take a long time for these folks to get approved to come to the house for her care.  Now I'm hoping her healing will begin and she will recuperate soon.  It seems like a long time that she has been incapacitated, but I'm sure for her it seems like an eternity.

Earlier in the night, we ordered pizza and they made it "3-way."  My mom had cheese, I had onion, green pepper and mushroom and my dad had the same as I did but with pepperoni on his.  We're eating and I happen to notice that my dad had taken one of "my" thirds, and I said, "Dad, you took one of mine."  He said, "Oh, yeah, right - sorry," and he proceeded to hand the almost-finished piece to me.  I said, "Gross, I don't want that," and he put it back in the box.  My dad is something else, I tell ya.  He cracks me up sometimes and doesn't even know why.  He was telling my mom and I that women are better suited for certain jobs rather than men because women can do "boring" or "monotonous" jobs because they don't have a problem with them, but men can't do those jobs because they can't do boring work.  I laughed and just shook my head and he said, "What?  Is that prejudice?"  I said, "NO, dad, what do YOU think?"  He just mumbled some stuff that didn't make sense, my mom rolled her eyes and I had to smile.  Wow.  

I've had a touch of bronchitis the past few days, I know it's bronchitis because I get this on a regular basis on account of my asthma, but in order to get meds, I have to see a doctor.  So off to urgent care I went.  I waited an hour, saw the doctor for 2 minutes and the charge was $138.60.  My insurance in Wisconsin does not pay for health care down here.  So there goes a lot of money down the drain.  Next time an "emergency" comes up, I'll go to the emergency room.  My insurance may cover that.  I wish I would have done that in the first place.  But when you're sick, you don't think straight.  Like my mom sliding down the side of her bed thinking she made it on top.  And then when she was in bed, she asked me if she was in bed.  Life is topsy-turvey like that a lot lately.  Sometimes all you can do is grit your teeth and hang on real tight.


No comments:

Post a Comment