Friday, August 12, 2011

Who is Who and What is What, Page Two

So, I had to take a picture of my dad but that is really hard to do because he does not like getting his picture taken.  But I got one of him and my mom eating dinner.  The second one is when he looked up and asked me what I was doing.  I told him I was trying to figure out something on my camera, which is true, but not completely. 


Notice in the picture below, and you can barely see it but it's there, the bottle of BBQ sauce on the table.  I went to the store today and they had two for one - I was so excited for my dad.  Also, if you can see it, they are watching the Military Channel.  This is the den/kitchen area where my dad and I watch movies and talk when my mom is asleep.


Below, is their swimming pool, as Kita looks at her reflection in the water.  This is where I pray and relax and feel wonderfully pain-free for an hour or two each day.


This is a terrible picture, really, but I was in the screened porch and the sun was reflecting off of it.  This is the canal in the backyard where the alligators and poisonous snakes roam.  I actually saw an alligator yesterday when I was in the pool, and as I opened my mouth really wide to shout and tell someone to look, I realized there was no one to tell or see.  It was cool nonetheless.  It's back rose up above the water so I could see how big it was and then went into some bushes on the other side of the canal to continue lurking. 


Well, that's all the photos for now.  If something comes up and it would make it clearer to see a photo, I'll photograph it and include it in here.

Today was a busy, frantic day.  I went to the grocery store early in the afternoon and I actually saw an old lady fall on the floor.  She just went skidding like she was skating or something.  The man with her was using a cane and just stood there.  A big guy came around the corner and picked her up.  I went over and picked up some paper that she had dropped and when I gave it to her she just laughed.  Kind of a weird response.  All the suits in the store came rushing up to her to be of help.  They brought a chair for her to sit on and it was quite a big deal.  I'm sure they're afraid of a lawsuit, but I can see both sides of something like this now, since my mother has fallen several times.  Yes, there might have been something slippery on the floor and if that was the case, they should be held responsible for it.  But if there was nothing on the floor and she was as fragile as she looked, she should have had a cane or a walker or something.  I wonder what store owners do in situations like this where the majority of residents are old and frail.  They probably have really good liability insurance.

When I got home, I proceeded to take the food out of the bags and my mom called from the bedroom.  I went in there and she said she was dizzy.  Dizzy laying down and dizzy trying to get up.  So I called the home nurses because when they came over this morning, they took her blood pressure and it was very low - enough for them to be concerned.  They told me to take her into the ER.  So, Danny was on his way over to my mom's and suggested we call 911, which we did.  They came in and took her blood pressure and hooked her up to all these pads and apparently she was just fine.  They briefly examined her and let us decide whether to go to the hospital or not, but my mom and I decided to just stay home since they did all her vitals already.  The rest of the evening she was just fine, so maybe, hopefully, it was just some weird glich. 

Our bodies are like time bombs - we just don't know if and when something will go wrong with them unless we've had some warning signs.  And then, we still may not know because some of us don't know what to look for.  The bottom line, I believe, is to be ready to meet our maker whenever that time may be.



No comments:

Post a Comment