Tuesday, August 9, 2011

World Traveler

We waited an hour and a half for my mother to get in to see her doctor, who looked at her for maybe 5 minutes.  This was the infectious disease doctor and he thinks the mersa infection that she had is gone, although he did say it's possible that it may return.  Her legs were starting to really hurt her, sitting in the wheelchair and I was about to get up and complain when one of the nurses came out to get her.  It's true that we were surrounded by old people all waiting to get in to see a doctor, and one by one of them disappeared as we sat and waited.  But seeing my mom in pain was making me angry that she had to sit that long.  It was a good thing they finally came and got her or I would have had to make a complaint.  I'm not a patient person, but I had just changed my pain patches and was a bit foggy, so I was a bit more mellow than I normally am.  So if you ever want to argue with me, wait until after I put the new pain patches on and you'll probably win.

Waiting is not an easy thing for me to do.  I'm not a good waiter.  I wasn't even a good waitress.  I wasn't blessed with an overabundance of patience, like some of my friends who I greatly admire.  I really do think highly of those who are patient and mellow - 2 characteristics I always wished I had.  But then I came to realize that we're all made different and we should appreciate all the idiosyncrisies we each have.  (Now I know I didn't spell that right, but there is no spell-check on here and that drives me crazy.  Being an administrative support person all of my adult life, I always notice spelling or grammatical errors and then when I misspell a word, it annoys me, but not enough to get up and get a dictionary, so let's pretend I spelled it right.)

Kita is sitting on my shoulder, on the back of the chair I'm sitting on.  She likes to perch up there so she's right next to me.  She has to touch me when we're sleeping and when we're just chillin'.  I love her so much, but I'm thinking she should go back to Virginia for good because I just can't walk her.  She's so tiny, only 6 pounds, but really she should be taken on walks.  She does get outside though.  When I go in the pool, she's right outside there with me and likes it.  I've even brought her in the pool a few times and watched her "dog paddle."  Imagine that!  It's really cute, but she can really swim.  She just can't get over the side of the pool so I have to help her a little bit.  Usually, I let her swim to the steps and she can get out that way, with a little help.

She stands at the sliding glass window at times and growls and barks at something outside but there's nothing outside.  I don't know if it's her reflection that she sees, or if she senses something else -- like an alligator or something.  We were in the pool last night, but I was sure to get out of there before it turned dark.  Those alligators lurk around and come out at night and even though there's a screened in porch, it gives me the creeps.  Besides, Kita would be a tiny appetizer for them.

Did you ever notice when you're writing something like I'm writing this Blog, that you use the word "I" a LOT?  I this and I that, I went here, and I went there.  I, I, I, I.  Blah, blah, blah, blah.  Yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I just noticed that I say "I" alot.  But then I guess if I was writing about someone else, I would be writing about "them."  Dumb commentary but I guess it's just hard to avoid using the word "I" when you're writing about yourself and your family.   

So I just got my tickets tonight to go to Madison in October.  I made my doctor appointments and so I scheduled the flight around that and seeing my grandkids.  I can't remember if I wrote this or not, but the short-term disability insurance granted my application, but they are requiring me to see my doctor every 3 months and to have physical therapy regularly here in Florida, which I will have to pay for because my insurance doesn't cover costs out of county.  The next several months will be really busy for sure.  After the October visit, my kids and I are planning on going to Micah and Jasmine's for Christmas, but first I have to fly to Madison for Shanti's birthday party.  I can't miss that.  Then I'll have to fly back in January for my next doctor's visit.  Boy - I've become a world traveler without seeing the world!  One day I want to travel - some friends and I have already talked about going on a trip together.  That would be a lot of fun and I look forward to wherever we go.  But right now, my focus is here with my parents, and that's exactly where I'm supposed to be...

No comments:

Post a Comment