Friday, August 5, 2011

Close Calls

Sometimes I think about the close-calls I've had in my lifetime and have to believe that God has had His hands on me the entire time.  There have just been so many of these situations, even when I had no idea anyone was watching out for me.  I've experienced many times where I should have been hurt or killed because I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and because I was so young and naive.

When I was dating Jasper, I drove down to the southside of Chicago quite often and boldly because I was so naive. One day, at a stoplight, some guy just walked up to my car and began to open the door. I slammed on the gas and drove right through the light, as it unnerved me, and I was so unprepared. From then on, I started locking my car doors, but never stopped from driving down to where I was clearly unwanted. 

The summer after I graduated from the Day School, I took summer school classes for driver’s education and art.  My art teacher was an interesting man.  He invited me over for dinner at the end of the semester and I went, thinking he was a neat teacher and friend.  His wife was very pregnant, and also very nice, but unfortunately married to him.  My teacher asked me if I wanted to go for a walk after supper (they lived in the country) and I agreed.  His wife said she’d stay and do the dishes – she looked real uncomfortable as she was due at any time.  I offered to help her with the dishes but she insisted on doing them as I was their guest.  On our walk, he began to hug and kiss me and tried to molest me right there in the woods.  I couldn't believe it, he was my teacher and it never dawned on me that he would do something like that.  It was a good thing that I had a fighting attitude at the time, as I pushed him away and told him to knock it off and walked back to his house, as he pleaded for me not to tell his wife.  I left immediately after saying goodbye to his wife, feeling very stupid and weird that my TEACHER was such a jerk.  All I can say is that he’s a very lucky guy – if I had known better at the time, I could have had him charged with sexual assault and he would have lost his job.  As I drove home, I felt very sorry for his wife.

One night after work, I was getting off the train in Chicago to go to my apartment, and I had to walk down a flight of stairs from the elevated train to the street.  I remember vividly that as I got closer and closer to the bottom of the stairs, I felt a very evil feeling.  When I got to the base of the stairs, a really big guy came around the corner, right in front of me and I gasped.  There happened to be another person on the other side of the steps come around at the same time, and I hurried away and ran down the street to my apartment.  I felt like I escaped what could have been something very awful that night, and it was like God was preparing me as I walked down the steps to be aware of my surroundings.  And that was before I knew anything about God. 

One time my friend Vicki and I got real high and walked to her friend's house.  I don't remember her name, but her son's name was Jason and that's how I came up with the name for my first born child.  Anyway, she and her husband were in a big fight when we got there, and her husband ordered us to sit on the couch with his wife and son, pointing a rifle at us and screaming at us at the same time.  I was so high that I really didn't understand the seriousness of the matter at the time.  Soon, there were police outside, shouting up to this guy to let us go and it became a hostage situation!  After quite a long time, he let us go and the police took him away.  We left as soon as we could, but I couldn't stop laughing because the whole thing seemed too crazy. 

One day when Jason was about 3, I became very ill, with severe pain in my abdomen. Jasper had come over and noticed right away I didn’t look well. I thought I just had the flu or something, but he had enough sense at the time to take me to the emergency room at St. Mary’s Hospital. While waiting there to see a doctor, I began having shooting pain and I knew something was seriously wrong. They put me on a gurney in a room and after a moment, I passed out and fell off the gurney onto the floor. The next thing I remember was people standing over me, trying to get me back to consciousness. Years later, I remembered that it was at that point that I was in a conversation with someone who wasn’t in the room. I believe I was actually speaking with God and He was giving me a “second chance.”

They rushed me to surgery and found out by extracting blood from my uterus that I was bleeding internally and the blood was rushing to my diaphragm. When the doctor injected me with the long needles to extract my blood, I actually screamed out in pain as I have never felt pain like that before, or since. The sack he was extracting from was infected and so severe pain was a result. I suppose for confirmation, he did this twice, as I screamed obscenities at him to stop. They informed me that they had to do emergency surgery on me and found out through the surgery that I had an ovarian pregnancy that burst and that was the cause of the internal bleeding. The doctors told me later that if they had waited 15 minutes more, I would have died. 


Close calls.  I could go on and on with other incidents in my life that I recall now as "close calls."  God has truly had His hands upon me my whole life, and still does.  How can people not believe in God?  I can't fathom that.  And just like my father protected me when I was young against things that would harm me, my Heavenly Father protects me from things I can't even imagine.  Because He loves me more than anyone ever has or will love me.  And in His love, I am complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment