Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fish

I'm watching how octupus mate tonight with my father.  How awkward.  It's on the Public Broadcasting Channel and supposed to be educational.  All I feel is embarrassed.  I mean, it's the most natural thing in the world, but somehow watching it with my father, loses the educational part and all I can think of is that they're having sex.  I act like it's an interesting show to watch when he points certain things out to me, but trying to paying little attention to it.  But my father is becoming hard of hearing and the TV is blaring.  It's hard to simply ignore.  But the question is, who cares how octupus mate??  Some of these shows are so bizarre.  These researchers probably get paid huge salaries to watch and record how octupus mate.

Earlier in the evening, my father watches one show after another about stocks, bonds and the market in which I know nothing about and I find very boring.  I don't have a clue what they're talking about and my father sits glued to them with intense interest.  I need to pull my paints out and start painting during this time; I don't know why I haven't yet.  I keep putting it off and I don't know why.  It's probably some deep psychological issue; or maybe I'm just lazy.

My mother is feeling much better. Her infection is gone and the doctor has given her permission to come home.  But she doesn't want to just yet.  She told Danny that she's scared.   I'm not sure what she's scared about, so I need to talk to her to find out what's going on.  I guess it's understandable to be scared, leaving the security of the nursing home, but that's the whole point for me being here - to help my mom and dad both.

She went to the doctor yesterday morning and I was planning to go with her and my dad.  She told my dad that she wanted my older brother, Richard, to go with her instead.  Why?  Because he had some kind of medical experience in the Air Force some 40 years ago.  I just shook my head and laughed.  Richard has always been, and still is, my mother's favorite.  So I said no problem, because I wanted to sleep in anyway.

My brother and his wife and granddaughter came down to visit my parents two days ago.  They drove down because they have a lot of stuff here that they want to take back up north with them, and to see about my parents.  They came over today and we swam in the pool and just hung out.  Micah and Jasmine left for the other coast this afternoon.  They are preaching in a church in Palm Beach and will be staying there for a few days before coming back to Venice.  They plan on driving down to Key West and then on Sunday, they have another preaching engagement at a different church.

Now we're watching a program about white whales.  No, I didn't know there were white whales, but I think it's time to go to bed.  I REALLY don't want to see how these huge fish mate...

No comments:

Post a Comment