Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My Church

When I said in my last post that Florida was a God-forsaken place, I forgot all about my church.  In fact, besides my kids and granddaughter living here, and of course my brother and parents, my church is absolutely awesome. I am thankful for that, even if it is in Florida.  That's what keeps me afloat when I start missing old friends and children who live far away; when I feel overwhelmed taking care of my parents; when I feel so much pain in my body that it hurts to move a muscle.  My church and my pastor are heaven-sent.  I know that sounds corny, but it's really true.  God knew I would need a strong pastor and strong church to help me through the hard times - we all do, in fact.  And He has blessed me with just that.

It's a small congregation, relatively speaking, but everyone is so friendly and kind, from the first moment I attended  there.  The building is clean and pretty and it has really good central air, which I am extra grateful for.  Even though, the only person there that sweats more than me, is my pastor.  He works up such a sweat preaching, that he's usually very wet when he's done and has to change shirts right after service.    I feel we have something in common, albeit our sweating, and we both use something to wipe our faces.  He uses a towel - I use a handkerchief.  It's embarrassing, really, but at least I'm in good company.

Pastor Dagan is a true man of God.  He lives what he preaches, and it's obvious to everyone.  I couldn't have asked for a better leader.  I truly love him for his example, even when he's stepping on my toes.  He doesn't actually literally step on my toes, of course - that's just a matter of speech.  And some of my friends would be surprised to know that I now sit on the front pew - mainly so I'm not distracted by anyone in front of me (as I get easily distracted) and also because I really want to be involved in the service.  I really enjoy sitting up there, except for the occasional spit from his mouth when he really gets revved up.

Pastor Dagan's wife is very sweet - a real southern gal from Louisiana, and they have 3 boys.  The church has several children in fact and is mixed with old people, young people and some in-between.  It also has black and Latino families as well as white.  I appreciate that very much.  Bro. Hightower said many, many years ago that there is something wrong when a church is all white or all black - it should be a mixture of all - and I totally agree.  The exception to that would be a church that caters to a group of people who don't speak English, like a Spanish church.  Otherwise, I believe all churches should be multi-cultural.  That's the way the world is, so why should the church be different?

So when I'm in church, I get to worship God and God blesses me in return and I forget about all my worries and problems for awhile.  It's a reprieve - a little island in the midst of a crazy world - that refreshes and renews my mind and heart.

Frankly, I don't know how people get along without it...






No comments:

Post a Comment