Friday, June 28, 2013

Hope, Revisited

I learned something about diabetes yesterday.  I took my blood sugar in the morning and it was 297.  I've been using insulin and other medication and I was getting frustrated that my numbers weren't coming down, and I've been trying to eat right and watching my carbs and sugar intake (which of course is a real drag).  Well, yesterday I was watching Ashanti and we spent 2 and 1/2 hours in the pool, swimming, exercising and playing.  It was a lot of fun with my precious granddaughter.  When I finally came out of the pool, I took my blood sugar again and it showed 168.  I couldn't believe it.  I was down that many points in just a few hours, and it all had to do with exercising.  Wow - I didn't know that could happen, and I felt really good.  So now, I plan on being in the pool and swimming as many chances I can get.  Exercising on land is very hard for me to do, so swimming is perfect.  Shanti was my exercise instructor and we were having a blast by exercising at the same time and racing across the pool.  She, of course, won every time. To think I used to swim 100 lengths a night back when I was a teen, is incredulous to me now.  And that pool was an olympic size pool.  Boy, the things we did when we were young...

I can hardly wait until I have my surgery.  I'm more than ready to start feeling better, get this diabetes under control and start walking and doing things I haven't done in a long time.  We take so many things for granted that some folks are simply unable to do - whether they are paralyzed or disabled.  I am so thankful I have all my faculties, limbs and strength.  God has blessed us all in different ways, and I need to remember to thank Him for all His natural and supernatural blessings.

 How people believe we evolved from a big bang or some kind of matter, is totally beyond me.  I can't wrap my mind around that because it's so ludicrous.  There is a God, and He is One, to Whom I give all the worship and all the praise.  "He made us and not we ourselves," paraphrasing from the Bible.  I believe it's an arrogant and self-centered person who believes they are the master of their own lives.  I've talked with Atheists before, and although I care for the person, I totally disagree with their philosophy.  I need the Lord in my life, and as the old song goes that I used to sing, "I can't even walk without holding His hand."   I've said this before, and I say it again, I don't know how people go through life without the hope Jesus gives.  I would be a total mess, if I was even here by now.  But with hope I live my life and I wish I could convey this to all the people I know - I wish they could feel what I feel and know what I know, to show them what they are missing.  I believe we are all born with an empty place in our soul or heart that only the Spirit of God can fill.  We live our whole lives striving to fill that empty place, but until it's filled with God's Spirit, our attempts are futile and in vain.  I'm definitely not a good verbal communicator, and that's one reason I speak through this blog.  I pray I don't offend anyone because that isn't my intent.  If I could, I would open up my heart and soul so you could see what I'm talking about.  

Well, it is almost time for my daily swim and exercise class with Miss Ashanti.  Yesterday, I asked her, complaining, why do we have to exercise?  Her response was, "We just have to, grandma. Those are the rules."  I didn't get a chance to ask whose rules those are, because she was a stern taskmaster and kept me moving.  At least it feels good in the water.  I love the way the water lifts your weight and there is a feeling of being weightless.  Similar to the love and joy God gives - it makes you feel light, peaceful and complete...

No comments:

Post a Comment