Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday

My mom is doing much better today, however, she now has staph infection.  We spent the evening with her and she is obviously tired of being bedridden.  We talked about bringing her home, but she will need antibiotics intravenously for 6 weeks, the doctor told us.  In addition to that, she will need to be able to pick herself up to the point I can help her into the wheelchair, or to bathe or clothe her and she's not at that point yet.  I think, as much as she doesn't want to, she may have to return to the rehab center to get stronger. 

The church I went to this morning was at first, so much different than what I'm used to.  This church was very small in a very nice building and they had about 30 people there.  What I liked was that there were Hispanics, blacks and white folks there -- not just one race.  I've never liked churches that were all white or all black -- something is wrong with that.  When I was a kid growing up, there was a lot of prejudice that I experienced, directly and indirectly, which tainted me forever.  To this day, I have absolutely no tolerance for prejudice, no matter who it’s directed toward.  As far as I’m concerned, blacks are just as guilty as whites, “Christians” as non-Christians, and so forth and so on.  Every “group” seems to justify their positions of prejudice or racism, yet neglect the indisputable fact that scripture plainly states “God is no respecter of persons.

I also liked the pastor.  He preached an excellent message for fathers on Father's Day.  I think this will be the church I will be attending as long as I'm down here.  I'm also excited about the fact that Micah and Jasmine will be coming here in July and preaching for the pastor.  Micah is my youngest son and an associate pastor of Christian Life Center in California.  He and his wife Jasmine, make a great team as she has a beautiful voice and sings before Micah gets up to preach.  And Micah can really preach!  I'm really looking forward to them coming.  I know my mom will be thrilled to see them too.  My parents love my kids and enjoy when they can see them as they don't travel any longer. 

Speaking of traveling, the drivers down here are CRAZY.  I mean, they're crazier than Chicago drivers, and I am one, so I should know!  People cut you off and drive like maniacs.  Where is everyone going?  They're all in a big rush like there's a grand-opening sale going on down the street.  And of course, most of them are elderly, so either they are racing in between cars or driving so slow, walking beside them would be faster.  I really wonder if they are seeing where they are going.  I sure hope so.  The bottom line is you have to drive defensively here more than anywhere I've been.  Except for maybe Los Angeles...

No comments:

Post a Comment