Saturday, March 24, 2012

Beds

Lately, my dad has been barking a lot.  My mother will ask him a question and he will bark back, "WHAT?" like it was a real bother to answer her.  I don't know what his problem is but I again told him that, "No one wants to deal with your attitude."  Before he could get up and hit me, I left the room and stayed in my bedroom until he cooled off.  He's always angry about one thing or the other.  The other night we got into a heated argument and he yelled back at me and said, "Because I caaaaan't saaaaaaaaayyy noooooooo!!" in a low, demonic sounding voice, which reminded me of the girl who was possessed in that one movie, which I never saw.  Apparently, her head turned all the way around, and I was waiting for that to happen with my dad, but it didn't.  I laughed about it last night with Danny because it was so over-dramatic.  Sometimes my dad reminds me of his mother, my grandmother Esther, who was very dramatic.  She was the one who passed out onto the living room floor when she found out I was pregnant with a BLACK, NON-JEWISH man. 

Last night I thought I would please my dad and made him one of his favorite dishes, Cabbage Borsht (soup).  I found the recipe online and he really liked it.  His aunt and his mother used to make this when he was a boy.  Apparently it turned out good because he really liked it.  My mom seemed to enjoy it too, however I could only eat one bowl.  It was really different, but definitely not for my taste buds.  My mom froze the leftovers so they can have it again.  There are only a few Jewish foods that I do like, and this is not one of them. 

Leah, Parris and Ashanti are coming down here next week to live with us until they get on their feet.  Parris has been laid off now for a few months and it's hard to keep up with all the bills on unemployment comp.  I'm happy - I will have them and of course, my Shanti down here, and I will enjoy that.  I told Danny that we probably will be making lots of trips to his house to relieve some of the tension that will undoubtedly be around here.  Hopefully, my dad will behave himself and the tension will be minimal, but that's highly unlikely.  Thank God there is a swimming pool we can all retreat to, and the water should be getting warmer enough to swim any day now. 

Today, my mom and I have to empty my dad's office and my bedroom because they are getting new flooring in both rooms on Monday.  Danny is coming over later to move the heavy stuff.  My mom is already scooting around getting things done and keeps checking on me to "get going."  Remember, Saturdays are work days - not relaxation days.  This has to be done, however, and I won't have time to do it tomorrow, so I have to do it today.  I will be moving all my "stuff" into my mom's room to clear it out for my kids to stay in.  So we'll be schlepping stuff to and fro all day. 

I'll be sharing my mom's king size bed, while my kids are here.  This should be fun.  It's a good thing we have been getting along really well lately.  But as I said before, I am a very restless sleeper, so I hope I don't end up curled next to her - that would be just weird.  Hopefully, I'll stay on my side of the bed and sleep at the edge.  If I fall, it's not that far down.  She has little stuffed animals on her bed, so I will put them between us for a barrier.  And when Shanti wants to sleep with me, I will gladly have her, so it's an even better barrier.  I miss sleeping with her.  I hate sleeping alone, with the exception of sleeping with my mom.  When all three of my kids were born, they all slept with me until a few years in age.  One took longer to wean than the others, and slept with me for a long time.  That child also nursed for the longest and in fact, would stand up saying to me, in public as well, "Ninny, mommy, ninny!"  I, of course, obliged, though not in public.  I only did that when my oldest was born because that was the hip thing to do in the 70's.  I'm sure I freaked people out, but I didn't care, being the rebel that I was. 

Anyway, this should be an interesting next several months.  I look forward to having my kids and granddaughter here with me.  And I think Shanti will be good for my dad to soften him a little.  She's a very loving child and could melt the hardest heart just by looking at you.  She will want him to go outside and sit with her by the pool, which will be good for him to get outside for a change.  I think all in all, it will be fine.  That is, if I can stay on my side of the bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment