Friday, October 14, 2011

Fun and Games

So my dad had an appointment yesterday for minor surgery on his eye.  We woke up late, about 6:30 and the appointment was at 7:00.  I raced trying to get dressed and hurried him along as much as I could.  We didn't get out of the house until 6:50 and I tried to speed, but the speed limit all around here is 30 or 35, and my dad is always reminding me that "This street is always patrolled," even though I've only seen a cop once or twice the whole time I've been here.  So we finally get to the building where he told me it was at and I dropped my dad off first because we were late.  I parked the car and went in after him, and saw him coming from the "Cardiac Department" ( he was told he was in the wrong area and there is this huge sign saying it was the "Cardiac" department), as he was taking the elevator to the second floor.  I came up after him and I noticed that all the offices were dark and no one was around.  He walked down the hall and thought he knew where he was going, but I sat down and called the number on the sheet he was given.  We were in the wrong building and she told me that they were just "next door." 

We drove "next door" and my dad got out and went in and I stayed in the car to see if it was the right building.  It was, but it was the wrong door.  So my dad got back in the car and we drove around this building and I dropped him off and I went to park.  We got there around 7:35.  There was a room full of people and we waited about 20 minutes when he was called in.  The procedure took all of 5 minutes and we were on our way home.  Never believe an old person when they tell you they "know where they're going."  Politely say, "That's good," and do a Google search anyway.

I made a huge mistake and now I'm feeling really guilty, especially leaving so soon.  My dad can't reach the trunk to close it so he always asks me to do it, and I totally spaced it last night.  He was just in the garage and he turned the garage door opener on to get the garbage cans, but he was looking down and he smacked right into the garage door.  It didn't go up because it got stuck from the trunk door.  He was just shouting to me from the garage and I went out there and he was on the cement.  He said he got knocked down from the door.  I tried to pick him up but he wouldn't let me and he struggled for several minutes to hold on to a wheel chair to help himself up.  He finally pulled himself up to a stand, holding onto the chair and I brought the garbage cans in.  He's sitting in his chair now and he says his hand and hip hurts, as he fell on his butt.  He said, "Wouldn't that be funny if I broke my hip too?"  I said, "NO, not at all." 

So now I am ready to go see my kids and grandkids and my dad will probably be pretty bruised up and hurting for several days.  I only pray he didn't break anything.  That would do us both in.  And I feel guilty because I didn't close the trunk.  What a parting gift. 

So I need to just take a deep breath and keep on going.  I'll be back all too soon and will resume the fun and games in Florida.  I never knew how entertaining my parents could be.  They weren't this fun when I was a kid.  But then, neither was I...

No comments:

Post a Comment