Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Royalty

I think I'm the only person in the world that could care less about a baby born to the royals in England.  I don't mean to be mean, but is it really that big of a deal for us as Americans?  If I lived in England, I probably would feel the same way; it just doesn't mean a whole lot for me.  It's history, that's true - but so is everyday life here, even the most mundane situations.

I remember when Princess Diana died and how "shocked" the world was and how everyone said she was the most spectacular person that ever lived, etc., etc.; and at around the same time, Mother Theresa died and there was definitely not the same amount of television coverage and hullabaloo about her as there was about Diana.  I actually got into an argument with someone about it, as I believed that Mother Theresa, who lived, worked and helped lepers the majority of her life, did more for mankind than a princess in England, and the person I got into an argument with became very angry at me and stormed off.  I really didn't understand.  I'm sure Diana did noteworthy things in her role and even humanitarian things - I'm not doubting that.  I just think that a little nun who was humble and kind and never sought personal attention, but gave herself to a country of very sick and contagious people, deserved as much, if not more, accolades from us when she died.  That's all I was saying.

So going back to this royal birth, I think it's great, as all newborns are precious in God's sight.  I just don't view movie stars or royalty or sports figures as something to worship, in any sense of the word.  I think people who are born into wealth or power or privilege are very fortunate and also have a great responsibility to those less fortunate than themselves.  I always wondered what I would do if I won the lottery or became suddenly wealthy.  I could never live in a huge, ostentatious mansion with a million rooms - I would constantly feel guilty for those who live daily on the streets.  I could never keep that much money to myself, knowing that there are people still starving here and across the world.  It would bother me so much, I would probably give my fortune away, until I had enough for my family and I to be comfortable.  I guess I don't have to worry about it - I don't play the lottery, and I have no rich relatives.

Shanti stayed over last night.  We went swimming in the dark with the pool light on.  She was so excited about it, at one point, she told me that this was the best night of her life.  She said she will never forget it.  I had to chuckle inside.  We made a memory for her to always remember, and we had fun doing it.  Before that, she brought over a box of shells she had collected and she painted them, while I worked on a picture I'm painting.  We always paint quietly side by side and she talks to herself or sings quietly and I listen.  Before she left today, she saw me scratching a rash I have on my arm and she said, "Grandma, please don't scratch that."  She said it with such sincerity because she was concerned I would make it worse.  Oh, to have the heart of a child...

My brother, Richard's wife, is on life support tonight.  I don't know what's wrong with her, and I don't know if the doctors even know, but she's only a few years older than me.  He, and her kids, have to make the difficult decision of if and when to remove the support.  She doesn't have a living will, so the decision will be left up to them, and ultimately with my brother.

It seems - no - life is, more difficult the older you get.  It's more complicated and distressing as people become ill and your family and friends start disappearing.  If my hope was in this life only, how sad my life would be; but I'm a child of the King and so my hope lies in His Royalty....

No comments:

Post a Comment