Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Old People Horror Movie

The Jewish Community Center, which my parents and a few of their friends started more than 30 years ago, was having a "festival" which included a rummage and food sale on Sunday, so my mom and I went to see what they had.  The food they serve there is pretty standard Jewish food, and we all wanted some kosher hot dogs and latkes, but by the time we got there, they were all out.  Thousands of people come to this festival every year and this year was no different.  We got there late at around 1:00, because I had gone to church in the morning.  We ended up with some mandel bread, blintzes and chopped liver.  Well, I  should explain what this stuff is.  Latkes are potato pancakes - grated potatoes that are seasoned and fried - very delicious.  Mandel bread is a hard bread/cookie that is similar to scones.  My grandmother taught me how to make these and they are very good, especially if you like dry cookies or scones.  Blintzes are really good, and they are made out of a crepe like pancake that is stuffed with fruit or cheese.  Really delicious!  Chopped liver is just that - a yucky liver from a cow that is ground up with eggs and onions and spices that people eat with crackers.  It is disgusting, but my parents love it. 

I looked around at the rummage sale and there was so much stuff that it was hard to look at all of it.  That's when my ADD kicks in.  I was mostly looking at the art work anyway, as I love to find different pieces of original art.  There was nothing that interested me, so I sat on one of the couches that they were trying to sell, and watched the hoards of people trying to squeeze through the hallway.  I didn't see one kid there - they were ALL old people, with the exception of a few that were probably around my age.  Oh, I take that back - I did see 2 kids, but they were so strange looking, that they looked old.  Many people stopped to admire the couch, one took a measuring tape out and measured it, and another asked me if it was comfortable.  People were swarming in through every door - it was very unsettling.  I felt like I was in a movie and instead of aliens creeping in, they were all old people of every make and style.  Most of whom spoke with New York accents at stellar volumes.  "Hey Harry, look what I found over here!  OK Sylvia, I'm right behind ya!"  I was glad when my mom was finally done visiting with all her friends.  We took the food out and ran for our lives.  Of course we didn't really run.  I waddled with my cane to the car and she slowly walked with her walker far behind me.  And I walk slow.  No matter how fast I try to get her to walk, a turtle would pass her up.  She is exactly like the old man Tim Conway used to play on the Carol Burnett Show.  She even mutters to herself like Tim did.

I really shouldn't talk - I mutter to myself all the time.  Since I get tired of saying everything twice around here, I will sometimes talk to myself in a low mutter; however, I don't answer myself.  Yet.  I learned the other day that my great grandmother had dementia before she died, and my grandmother had it (her daughter) and now of course my mom has it, and I naturally will be next in line.  What a dismal thing to look forward to.  I just hope I don't end up like one of those little old ladies who drool, swear and talk crazy to everyone.  I hope I am more like someone who is living in bliss, happy and singing in the hallway somewhere.  Oh well, let's change the subject.  I will fight becoming like that anyway, and since I am a born fighter, I may just win.

Yesterday, my mom and I went to the dog shelter in a nearby city, because we all talked about getting a dog.  My mom wants a small one, however, I want a Mastiff, but since this is their house, I will humour her with trying to find a small dog.  We didn't see anything appropriate at the shelter.  We were going to see a dog this morning, but I didn't have a good feeling about it and then my mom surprised me by telling me that she wasn't ready for a dog now anyway.  I just thought it would be good for both of them, because Kita brought so much life in here and they both fell in love with her.  Maybe when I come back from Madison, I will start the search again for a small dog if I can talk my mom into it. 

I'm going to Madison so soon because my granddaughter Jade will be "dedicated" in the church service on March 4, and so I scrambled to get an airline ticket today.  I also will be meeting with a state retirement counselor, as I am planning on officially retiring and will be pulling my pension as soon as I am able.  I can't believe that I am actually retiring.  After all these years, and now it is really going to happen.  When did I get this old?  Good grief, it seems like I was young just a short time ago.  It's bizarre how fast life goes the older you get, but when you're young, it seems like it takes forever.  I wonder if we are ever really content with who we are, with what we have, and when we have it.  I can honestly say that since last June, I've never been more content in my life.  Maybe that just happens as you age.  Or maybe it's because I trust God more now than I've ever before.  Whatever the reason, it's finally good to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment