Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cottage Cheese

I was trying to take a nap with Kita this afternoon and my door was closed, when my mom opened it, saying, "Sis?  Sis?"  I said, "What?" through my breathing machine.  She said, "Oh, honey, I didn't know you were sleeping.  I'm sorry.  But do you know where the cottage cheese is?"  I thought if I was standing up I would deck her, but I just said, "No, but I'm sure it's in the refrigerator somewhere."  "Oh yes, of course, ok, I'll ask dad to see if he can find it..." as her voice trailed off while she wheeled herself away.  She couldn't see I was sleeping?  Well, the first clue was that my door was closed.  The second clue was that I was lying prostrate on my bed with my CPAP machine hissing as it was blowing air in and out of my nose.  So if I was sleeping, she would make sure I wasn't by the time she was done.

She not only woke me up, but then she took Kita with her, which irritated me.  She had told me some guy was coming over to check the fire alarms and so she had to "put Kita on her lap so she wouldn't bark at the guy."  I told her I would just bring her in my room and keep her in there until the guy left.  She "preferred" taking the dog out of my room, after waking me up, and keeping Kita on her lap to show everyone that she doesn't bark at all when she's on her lap.  I got up from the bed and kind of slammed my door because if that guy was walking around the house, I didn't want him coming into my room as I'm lying in bed.  For some unknown reason, my mom didn't close the door after she took Kita. 

I fell asleep, thus forgetting all about Kita, the guy or my mom, until I heard Kita's little wimper as she stood outside my door.  She wanted to come in to be with me, of course, as my mom went to take her nap.  So I got up, brought Kita in and muttered some unmentionable things.

My mom has taken a real liking to Kita, which is good and weird at the same time.  She says to me, "Sis - watch," and she "drives" her wheelchair over to the chair Kita is perched on, and Kita gets on her lap, which she calls a train.  "Let's go for a ride now Kita, on this train, down the tracks, blah, blah, blah..."  I think it's cute that Kita knows to get on her lap from the chair, but I think part of my mom is acting like a kid in a carnival.  It's kind of weird.  But Kita is good company for my mom and I'm glad she is attached to her. 

My mom's memory is deteriorating fast, which is really distressing.  One day, she yelled at me for asking her to do something in the kitchen.  I just sat there because I was stunned and she laughed it off like it was supposed to be funny, but it wasn't.  I think she may even be aware of her personality changing, but her memory is so bad, she won't remember.

When I was making dinner tonight, I said, "Mom, look - the cottage cheese is right here on the top shelf."  She said, "Oh yes, honey, I did find it."  I'm glad she did.  I wouldn't want her to be without her cottage cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment