Thursday, April 26, 2012

Howie

It's been about 3 weeks since Howie has been living here and he is fitting in very well.  He, however, considers the entire house his bathroom and there is no room that is sacred from this function.  Even in my dad's office.  I hear a loud voice, swearing and muttering to himself and I know it's my dad who just encountered a puddle or present under his desk.  My mom and I are both trying very hard to get him to "make" in the enclosed porch that has indoor-outdoor carpeting in it and can be washed very easily.  He agrees to do this to a certain extent - he piddles on the puppy pads out there, but refuses to poopoo on the pads.  I know, I know, TMI.  I'm trying to describe how my current days are, and this is a big part of it.

The day begins at about 2:00 in the morning when I hear him whining like a cat next to my side of the bed, that he wants me to pick him up, which I do, and bring him in the bed with my mom and I.  I put a pillow barrier between her and I and I tuck him in next to me, away from the side of the bed.  He then falls back asleep until about 7:30 or 8:00.  He loves to sleep with me just like my kids used to.  I had to put them in the middle too, worried that they would fall off the bed, just like Howie.  He wakes me (or my mom) up chewing on our hair and licking our faces.  I bring a chew toy into bed at that point to give me a few more minutes of sleep. 

When we do get up, I quickly put him out on the porch for him to "make."  I wait and wait and wait, and then I sit down to wait some more.  Sometimes he produces something, sometimes not.  When he doesn't, as soon as we go back in the house, a puddle and present will appear out of nowhere, like magic.  I talk a lot to myself these days, as he obviously isn't listening to me.  It's far worse than potty training a child.  At least you can bribe them with candy.  These little creatures have a mind of their own.  And apparently, Dachschunds are difficult to potty train.  Great.

When I am not cleaning up puddles and presents, I (finally) started a watercolor class at the Venice Art Center.  I am loving it, even though it is showing me how inept I am at what I thought was going to be relatively easy.  It's a challenge and I like that because it puts my mind in a totally different place.  And I'm learning and that's always a good thing.

My first attempt is a sloppy mess of a sunset.  It's not even good as an abstract sunset.  You could even surmise Howie piddled on it.  But we learn from our mistakes and hopefully I will slow down and get it right.  You must have patience to do watercolor and this will definitely help me with that. 

My second attempt, which is what I am working on now, is a painting of Howie.  I guess I deal with him so much during the day, I thought I would honor him with a portrait.  Leah took the photo of him that I'm painting from, and he happened to be sitting on a potty pad, like a good boy. Ha! Hope springs eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment